No cable

• After assembly, the system fails to boot up. I get a message that says, "No Cable". Any ideas on what to check here?

• @Steve Abdu 

Is the SD card inserted properly, and the Raspberry Pi starts normally?
    The red light is always on and the green light flashes quickly, this is the normal startup process.

If the Raspberry Pi starts normally and the RasPad is still in the "no cable" state, please try to exchange the two HDMI cables, as shown in the picture.

Give feedback on the results of the test. It is best to provide a video to confirm the problem, including the cable connection and the indicator light during startup.

• I reset all the cables and the SD card was properly installed. The machine does now Boot Up, but it still appears a little quirky when I hit the power button for a short press it doesn't revive the screen and I have to reboot.

• @Steve Abdu same here. Thought the Pi 4 was not functioning correctly, bought another Pi 4 but same issue.

• Does PI work if you plug it into a normal monitor?

you havent slipped up and formatted the sd card in FAText, instead of FAT32 ?

try putting sdcard directly into pi, rather than using the extension ribbon cable.

• Yes, +1 on the correct FAT32 file format. There are a number of sites offering instructions and links to free formatters. I believe I used the Mini Tool Partition Wizard and perhaps the SD Card Formatter v5 for Windows. I didn't document the instructions (my bad) 😬

• @Steve Abdu

Do you mean that after booting, the screen will go black after pressing the power button but the fan is still running?
    This is the state of turning off the backlight, and it also requires a long press to shut down.

About the inability to restore the screen to its original state, it may be because the interval between two clicks is short. You can try again after a period of time.

If this does not solve your problem, please provide a video to illustrate the problem, so that we can better help you.

• Not to offend anyone but, I'm noticing a pattern here in the answers provided by support:  try this, do this, nothing works as advertised or instructed.  Hmmm....

• @Red Pill thats how remote support works, you get the user to try certain things to get to exactly what the issue is, as you cant see what the user is seeing so you have to work logically to get to the root of the issue be it a faulty part or user error. Also take into account its not LIVE support its a forum so it takes time for replys to each step.

• They do at times request a short video of the problem.

• I finally finished assembly of my Raspad.  I was delayed by a bad cable in the kit, but support got me another new one in 2-3 weeks... not bad from China. Then I was delayed by a broken pipe in the back yard that took precious time digging, analyzing, buying parts, and replacing the defective stuff.  Finally got back to the Raspad.

It boots, and runs OK, but it shows the "No Cable" blue message briefly during the boot sequence.  I've checked everywhere, and don't see where there is an issue.  I've even plugged a live Ethernet cable into the Raspad, to no avail.

Can someone please explain why this is showing up, and how to either shut the message off, or better... how to diagnose the issue.

Jim

• Still trying to diagnose the "No Cable" message.

I just ran "sudo reboot" from an LXterm window and the Blue/White No Cable message popped up during the shutdown portion of the reboot cycle.  It persisted on the screen for ~5 seconds before vanishing. Then the boot processes proceeded.

Jim

• @Jim Brown 

The " no cable " messge is normal on shutdown of the Raspad3, it happens because when the click shutdown in RPI OS it does not actually turn the power off to the raspad3s mainboard, you have to hold the power button on the raspad3 after you have shutdown RPI OS to turn off power the mainboard of the raspad3 and the display. This function can NOT be changed at the current time as that how the raspad3 was designed, hopefully they change that in future version of the raspad. 

The only time this become an issue is if you boot your RPI and then nothing ever apears on the screen and all you see is " no display " and then it a whole new issue that doesnt have one real answer or reason as it is completely setup specific.

• Thanks, That's the kind of info I was looking for.  At least, now, I shut up about it!

Jim

• Interesting that "No Cable" shows up during the boot sequence. When you formatted your SD card and copied the Raspad OS to it, did you see a message yes or no to fully utilize all the space on the SD card? Can't remember if that happens when writing the OS to the card with Raspberry Pi Imager or on the first boot. And I don't know what happens if you say no instead of yes. Might be a boot bump in the road if the whole card isn't available.

• @Michael Blomquist ok im not sure what your asking here at all, the " no cable " message has nothing to do with the OS or the sdcard, and would happen with no RPI even installed in the raspad3 , it appears on boot and shutdown becuase the mainboard in the raspad3 has power independently of the RPI and as such shows the message correctly that it is no receiving any signal from the RPI, same as if you just plugged a normal display to the RPIs hdmi port.

• I had another issue, so I decided to buils a new uSD card.  I chose a new 32GB card, used windose to format it, downloaded a fresh copy of Raspas-OS, and used RPi Imager tocomplete the task.

I don't remember any questions about using the entire uSD card space, but that usually shows up on the first boot of a new OS with Raspbian.

During the initial phases of assembly, I did run the RPi4 with a KBD, Mouse & monitor, and never saw the message.

This is no longer a technical issue, as I understand why it shows up.  However, I equate it to the "Check engine" light on the dash of my car.  If every time I started the car it came on it was a false alarm, I'd tend to ignore it, even if it was urgently true (boy who cried WOLF!

Often, when I do see the "Check engine" light, I jump out, open the hood, and sure enough, it's still there :^)

Maybe, just Maybe, if, instead of "No Cable" what was displayed Raspas used an image of, for example, a Raspberry, nobody would care.

Jim

• @Jim Brown i have never been asked about disk size and i have lost count of the number of different linux/android distros i have installed on the RPI, the easiest way to check is to got to terminal and type " df -H " and see what the size of the dev/root is that will tell you if the whole drive is in use. 

That being said can we please keep the thread on topic as this has nothing to do wth " no cable " and will just confuse newer users and make it harder to help them.

• @Jim Brown It is not recommended to use raspad os, because we have stopped updating and closed the download link. It is recommended that you burn the official Raspberry Pi image directly, and then use raspad-lancher to install related drivers and software. As for the no cable prompt, sorry that it can't be solved.

• OK, I'm burning the latest RaspPi-OS as I write this.... But first, a couple of questions...

1. what is "raspad-launcher", where do I get that, and does it have a man page?

2. what about the RadPad graphics? are they included with the launcher or can they be had elsewhere?... where?

I was an early adopter of Raspberry Pi many years ago, so I am quite familiar with the OS in its many forms.

OBTW, as of a few minutes ago https://raspad.com/pages/raspad-os was still functioning.

Jim

• @Jim Brown 

1. Raspad3 launcher - https://docs.raspad.com/en/latest/raspad_launcher.html

2. Not sure but i think there on the Github.

3. What they ment is its no longer linked from the main website but the page itself still exists for now.

• @Jim Brown 

Please look at this link https://docs.raspad.com/en/latest/raspad_launcher.html